When preparing for a road trip, a little bit of up front planning will help a lot.. Take some extra time to prepare and pack your car top carrier, so that down the road you’ll avoid serious issues. The following tips will help you in that effort.
- Read the instructions first. It may seem like a no-brainer, but making the proper adjustments to suit your vehicle are critical.
- Think about the gear you want to pack. If its going on top of the vehicle there will be some lifting. Generally lighter, bulky items are the best. Some examples are duffel bags, sleeping bags, and tents.
- If you are using a luggage rack, make sure to take into consideration it’s weight limit. If you are not using a luggage rack, ensure the roof of the vehicle can support the weight of the car top carrier contents.
- Position the opening of the carrier so that it is accessible by standing in the door or tailgate of the vehicle.
- If you are using a soft cargo carrier (bag), pack the bag filling out all of the space. A soft cargo carrier that flaps in the wind will wear a lot easier, and eventually develop a hole.
- Ensure the straps are secured tightly to prevent shifting. If you are not using a luggage rack, make sure you use car clips to secure the carrier. Tie off the straps to prevent wind noise.
- Test the car top carrier the first couple times you use it. Do this a highway speeds to ensure any load shift does not require further tightening.
Click Here to see reviews of the best hard and soft car top carriers.